A nearly 5-mile pre-party was enjoyed by YHC and Porcelain at an easy 8:02 pace. (There are plans to achieve a 6 mile pre-party in the same 40 minute time frame before a workout before too long) Shovel flags were then planted to prepare for the real action.
THE MAIN EVENT
QIC: Pumpkin Spice
PAX: Badboy, Bicentennial Man, Crablegs, Crawlspace, Cunning Linguist, En Fuego, Firefox, Harvey Updike, Hi-Viz, Lunchlady, Porcelain, Pop-a-lock, Preacher Man, Ride Along, Shadow, Silver Medal, T-cell, Tiny Dancer, Trapper Keeper, Vector
After a brief disclaimer, the PAX moseyed and made their way to the top parking lot for some Warmorama. The exercises served as a foreshadowing of the impending Broad Jump Relay pain:
- SSH x 30
- Flutter Kicks x 10
- Merkins x 10
- Squats x 10
- Plank Jacks x 10
- Low Plank Jacks x 10
- American Hammers x 10
- High Knees x 10
The PAX then counted off to identify their parter-in-pain for the Main Event. We moseyed to the top of the main entrance hill for instructions.
One partner is at the top of the hill doing flutter kicks. The other partner runs down and around the traffic circle and then, once they reach the stone wall entrance, broad jumps the 50-or-so meters up the hill until they get back to their partner. They tag each other out with a 5 burpee handshake and trade places. After both partners have run the course, they burpee handshake and then rinse and repeat with the following sets of exercises at the top of the hill AMRAP:
- Flutter Kicks (already done first)
- Plank Jacks (alternating 10 high and 10 low)
- American Hammers
Hi-Viz closed out with a final 5 MOM while YHC made an early exit to get to work on time (We’ll call it a FIFO).
- YHC was apparently utilizing more of a bunny hop technique rather than a true broad jump for the first round of the relays. Mumblechatter abounded, notably by one T-cell, and YHC’s form slowed down for the subsequent rounds with T-cell’s approval of broad jump execution.
- Later in the Relay, the broad jump for many PAX seemed to take on the form of what seemed to me more of a walking lunge — but, as evidenced by my bunny hop, who am I to say so. I’m no expert on technique.
- Many questioned the sanity of YHC, finding the Relay to be of a particularly potent degree of pumpkin spiciness
- Look out for an inaugural (formal) West Park AO Q from the one and only Crablegs this coming Thursday. Details to be posted on Slack.
- Congratulations to Vector on taking the reigns as Bomber AO Q! The West Side’s most highly-attended AO could not be in better hands.